www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Sunday 9 May 2010

How much do you think a positive mental attitude helps when living with FM/CFS/ME/MS?


*Its what gets my 12 year old daughter and myself through the day. Positive thinking leads to a positive attitude and less stress so better equipped to cope with the illness.

*It helps a lot! Many of my tutors praise me for getting on with my work even though I have this condition! However it is not easy to stay positive! I have my mum and boyfriend who keep me on track!

*Its the way to go.

*Very much so. I find if I am having a bad day emotionally I feel much worse physically and vice versa. Today is quite a good day and I am feeling positive about everything today so am not feeling too bad.

*If we could see a comic to make us laugh ever day it would take our mind of every thing.

*Well I always think - OK, if I don't pull my knickers up, no one else will Sam - so get on with it! But I'm also lucky in that I have a really fantastic supportive & helpful family for when I hit the bad days.

*A lot, I find if I feel down n negative it is harder to get going and the pain seems worse, changing subject did anyone watch bones last night. The woman who was murder suspect had Fibro and that was her excuse for killing the guy who lied to her. My hubby said don't you do that to me so I said don't ever lie then!

*Positivity is so very important. When I'm down I feel in pain, more tired, my IBS gets worse. But if I try to remain positive, mostly through my boyfriend trying to distract me from the pain and doing silly things, then the pain isn't on my mind so much.

*A lot

*I think it helps with everything.

*I work on my folks farm & if it wasn't for a positive attitude I would never get anything accomplished. so when you are dragging a positive outlook is all you got!

*I think that having a positive mental attitude is very helpful to cope with the FMS/CFS/ME/MS/HMS too. I'm finding that it makes you get on with life since so many things we used to be able to do we sometimes can't do them any more, especially when like myself you've gone from being able to walk one minute, and then the next minute you can no long walk at all.
Then have to admit defeat and ask for help that you need to be able to get on with the new life you have been dealt with.

*It is the only way I can make it through the day. I solidly believe in "Fake It Til You Make It."

*I think it helps tremendously! I know I have always tried to keep a positive attitude. I have FM, it doesn't have me! my attitude keeps me going everyday.
I tell myself no matter how bad it is there is someone out there that is worse off than me!

*I walk but with great pain yet when I applied for DLA it was rejected even when appealed against it.

*It helps tons, but it's not always easy to be positive. The positive days are by far the better days.

*I know a positive attitude helps! On the days that I can't seem to get myself out of the dumps the pain is worse.
If you have IBS symtoms, I have found something that helps tremendously. My symptoms were so bad I couldn't eat anything. I saw a commercial on TV for something and it works!
Digestive Advantage for IBS. I have to take two a day but I can eat basically anything now! When you can get at least one problem under control then it is a lot easier to stay positive, Best wishes to everyone!

*It helps millions. I am one of the most positive people I know and they always say they should be more like me. We cant let anything beat us!

*Yes most definitely especially when there seems no way out of the pain. Down days are hard, but there is always a good day to come.

*A positive attitude is something I have control of much unlike my fibro! I enjoy sharing it with others especially when physically I can't offer much. I know full well that my attitude is directly related with my symptoms.
I also believe that positive attitude is all encompassing. Everything about my life is better when I am positive despite it all.

*I find it hard to be positive some days,I don't sit n feel sorry for myself but have spent many a day in tears, I find having fibro frustrating,my daughter has autism she is my reason to carry on, sometimes the depression just takes over.

*I think a positive attitude is the key sometimes. Especially, if you are going thru other trials in your life along with the Fibro and other health issues.
It makes me push myself more. It's hard but, it is better than giving in. Positive attitudes can be catching just like a smile can.

*I think a positive attitude helps a great deal because when you are down the pain seems worse. My flare ups are not a severe as they use to be since I changed my attitude.

*There are many things I've learned from this disease. One is that stress is not caused by physical facts, but by our attitude toward, interpretation of, and response to them. Another is that Cognitive Therapy helps me deal with EVERYTHING in my life, but especially with MCS/FM/CFS.
How I think of something determines how I feel about it, and that determines how I feel - physically, mentally, and emotionally! And finally, happiness is an inside job: pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.

*It's everything in learning to live with a chronic illness. I have seen it in my own life and the lives of others who seem to struggle more.

*I think staying positive has a great effect, I stay positive about my Fibro most of the time (have to say most as it does get me down now and again) sending you all soft hugs.

*In my opinion, absolutely! Admit, not a great deal of the cards, but hey, there are people out there that are worse!
My sister for one, she has MS and I am sure she would gladly change places with me. I only have the pain and fatigue, she is permanently disabled and struggles to do the absolute necessary.
The pain and fatigue no longer bother her, it's being helpless that gets her down! I visit her and always come always thinking I am very lucky!

*Positivity is essential, but not always attainable. The knowledge that FMS/ME/CFS are increasingly in the public awareness helps me hold on to a positive attitude-the more awareness, the harder it is for the "powers-that-be" to ignore and denigrate us.

*I think it helps a lot. Today I am in some pain and getting worse by the hour, however I am in such a positive mood that it is hardly affecting me.

*It is VERY hard to be positive when you are in pain 24/7. If it would let up at least once in a while that would help but it NEVER let's up even for a minute it only gets WORSE with the weather.

*It helps a great deal, when I feel happier the pain is easier to deal with and visa versa though.

*I had clinical depression for years and am trying very hard not to go back there. I think it would just make things so very much worse so I definitely agree that a positive attitude makes a big difference, it's just kinda hard to find it when am in a flare up :S I think I need to practice!

*I think that if I didn't have one, I wouldn't be here!

*It is essential. You have to be positive in life.

*I would say it's essential. I keep myself busy and occupied (professionally and at home) every day. If my mind is busy, it's not stressing about this silly condition. That doesn't diminish the pain and the physical limitations but finding ways round them to lead as normal a life as possible provides the challenges of each day.

*It is vital!
I use it in every way - not just in actions & conversation (i.e. by not banging on about every symptom to anyone who listens!) but also in my thoughts.
I try not to say or think things like, 'I'm in agony 24 hours a day" or 'I'm just so tired of this pain' as that only focusses on the negative. I focus on what I can do, not what I can't.
For example, I got downstairs for the first time in days today - that's a huge deal for me & I pay attention to that, rather than focussing on my pain.
We are what we think & if we think about the pain & fatigue, that is what we become - we also become not very good company, & company is what we need to keep our mind off things.

*It's absolutely vital! Concentrate on what you can do and not what you can't, even if it means completely turning your life around. It works for me.

*It's the only thing that gets you through the day.

*I don't know. I'll get back to you if I ever have one.

*It the only thing that gets me to work sometimes. Need to change my attitude I know. Get so depressed when things cant do any more but I will get there.

*It's most important of all. Emotional stress is the worst trigger for me, so when I'm happy, my body is much happier.

*Horrible attack of fibro today, but I know things could always be worse. A positive attitude is extremely important. Listening to my body is so important. I didn't listen yesterday. Now I hear it loud and clear.

*A lot! And praying for Gods will, not mine. It all makes a HUGE difference!

*It helps with fibro and life in general.

*It helps a lot, that's how I've managed to cope for the last 10 years - plus the fact that I care for an octogenarian father.