www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Saturday 15 May 2010

Question from a member: Has anyone tried Topirimate and how did they find it?


*Never heard of it, what is it?

*no idea of what it is, never heard of it!

*what is it ?

*I just found this via google, I'd never heard of it either
Topiramate

*It's Topamax and yes I have tried it been on and off of it for several years I recently got off it cause it was making my migraines worse instead of helping plus it made me forget more stuff and I already have fibro fog

*If it is topamax, talk about brain fog! its a killer on the memory cells. I quit taking it after 3 months, did not like feeling like a zombie.

*Toprimate/Topamax is an anti-convulsant. I tried it for migraines and it worked. It can cause some unpleasant side-effects.

*I love it! I was put on it for migraines and it initially helped them, but hasn't been helping them lately. For me, it helps with so many other problems. It may be making my fog worse, but I'm not sure. I don't really have any of the negative side effects people complain about, and most of them can be managed with vitamins/supplements.

*I have had clients on that stuff, cruel, cruel, steer clear if you can. That is the reason I will not take many things, I looked after people on them and saw the day to day side effects that were seen as behavioural.

*for me, it's helped a TON with the pain!

* Many people on my group have had it for migraine. As above said it does have some VERY unpleasant S/E

*One lady I know was diagnosed Bi poplar, it was the Topomax.

*I've been on it for years for migraines - helps tremendously with nausea/vomiting, in fact, I have none really with migraines now - however, I still have migraines, just not as severe. It is *horrible* for your brain. I've gone back to half dose at times and it seems my memory does better, but then the headaches are worse over the long run.
But right now the loss of memory is so disturbing that I'm considering going off and finding another way of dealing with the migraines, since I still get them anyway.

*is it topramax or topirimate?

*no, since I knew I had fibro for years and now my doctor agrees, she wants to wean me off Effexor ad try Cymbalta. I am in a lot of stress right now and she wants me to wait to wear off Effexor

*Topomax IS Topiramate. Topomax is the brand name, topiramate is the drug name.
I don't know that I've been on topiramate for my fibro, but I have taken it for my migraines, and it worked well, other than the obnoxious tingling (neuropathy) in my fingers and feet.

*My tingling is usually better with it, it gets worse (like all the s/e for me) when the dose is increased, then goes away within a week. I've read if you're put on it and the wrong section of your brain is the problem your more likely to have s/e.

*When my doc put me on it, he told me it would help with my pain. That's what actually led me to look into fibro. It's one of the few pain conditions it's actually thought to help!

*We discuss migraine with FMS on our group. There are people there who have their own Topomax stories to tell.
Read here

*I have been on Topamax for a while for icepick headaches. I had initial numbness in feet, knees and face which lasted up to a year, but it was worth it for the relief I was getting. However the icepicks have been breaking through again so I've had the dose increased and the numbness/tingling is back with a vengeance. Can't comment on brain fog as I've had that for years anyway.

*I have bene on Topamax since 2000-0001 for migraines which it has helped. But once I was diagnosed with FMS, I was told this was also known to help with the pain for fibro. It helps me to not take pain meds.

*I take Guaifenisen to hlep with my Fibroch pains. Makes life more bearable.

*I have been on it for years - it has kept the migraines from breaking through as often. I used to get migraines pretty much weekly and now it is more like one every six weeks or so that I get one so bad I miss work - I think that is worth taking it twice a day.

*I was on it and it helped with the pain but it affected my thoughts and made my memory even worse! Some doctors call it dopomax,instead of the real name topomax!

*It was my question. my doc has suggested it for fibro (and she says it will also help with weight loss). I am scared to start something that might have bad side effects.

*My sister was put on it to help with weight gain caused by Seroxat and she had a TERRIBLE time on it. Not only did it not help weight gain or migraines particularly it made her really anxious. Well, anything that's supposed to reduce weight is going to have some sort of amphetamine-type effects.
Steer clear if you suffer with anxiety. The psychiatrist who prescribed her denied that it could cause such a problem

*I am on topiramate for my fibromyalgia constant migraines it knocks them down a notch, about 20% I have been on it about a year and a half with no side effects that I know of.
I have constant migraine with sickness, sensitivity to light, sound and smell. The migraine doesn't go away its been there constantly for almost three years.

*No sorry.

*No sorry I use Pregablin which I believe is along the same lines. Boy do I know it if I accidentally miss one tablet!

*I take topiromate for Intracranial Hypotention. I haven't noticed any side effects to it but it does not help with any fibro pain. Fibro fog does seem to vary more though as it can last longer now. Maybe that is a side effect.

*does help with pain, esp neuropathic pain in hands and feet.
I take extra when get trigeminal neuralgia flare and it makes a big difference. Some problem "losing words" but don't know if due to med or fibro fog.
It does help with headaches, FMS headaches or other, not migraine.