www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Friday 28 September 2012

Advice for the newly diagnosed

Question we often get asked: Can you offer any advice to someone newly diagnosed, leave yours here :o)

  • one day at a time
     
  • Research your condition.
     
  • Let go of the past and plan for your future. Grieve for what you have lost but dont let it stop you living your life. You can still achieve many things, you just have to find new ways to do them. Learn your limits, ASK FOR HELP and never be afraid to talk to us about how you are feeling. xxx
     
  • get all the information that you can on the subject,,,,talk to people who have it,,,,and make sure you have a dr that understands it! and be gentle with yourself,,,my biggest trial in the last year has been trying to accept the 'new' me
     
  •  pace youself, try to eliminate as much stress as you can, learn to ssy no to others and rememeber what works for one perdon may not work for others. listen to your body.. .you know it better than anyone
     
  • Find a support group and stay as positive and as active as possible.
     
  • when i was first told i was afraid to do anything cos of the pain but i started to go a gym at first i was very slow a year on at 4 times a week i can now walk so much better i feel good in myself the gym has really helped me.Hope this helps someone
     
  • I really like the advice you share... I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia last week and it really is overwhelming to be told you have this illness, given a leaflet and sent out into the world... I had been learning to pace myself and take better care... and I was just hoping if I did the right things it would all go away... that some how I could undo this condition... I refuse to be a victim!!! One day at a time... ok, bring it on... (she says in tears...)
     
  •  Gentle Hugs Kirby xxx
     
  • dont get angry the quicker u accept the f.kin fibro the better take it slow pace urself and develop a thick skin u going to need it x
     
  • stay positive! ive found a routine altho extremely hard at times is working for me. trying to get more active little at a time. take it easy i mowed the grass and was down for days. i love being a part of the great people on these fm fb pages. they offer alot of info and help!
     
  •  Find a dr that knows fibro well. That's been my mistake.
     
  •  Kirby lots of tears. We are here for you :) it's still so hard. I'm learning day by day to take care of me.
     
  • @kirby some websites proclaim to have wonder juice/pill and such before u waste money ask someone at this site ok a good wholesome sensible diet stay away processed meat and pastes sauces make ur own i like to bake it theraputic to me .its james not jesse ha not that my mandy dont mind a cake or a sponge now and again ,find a thing u can do that helps like joining a pilates class and make them aware ur disability and also after diagnosis ul be saying och i knew that pain wasnt right or sensation ul mabye have a lot of like de.javu, . and almost spiritual feelings so many things when i watch those blooper t.v series and i watch someone fall over my body reacts to that and i feel pain in my bits lol normal people watch it and exclaim oooh ! but my nervous system so acute, and please never burst a balloon behind me or fireworks lol hope this helps lol x
     
  •  Llet your family know what you are dealing with as far as pain levels/fatigue for that day, and how you will need their help. I just expected my family to step up and know what I was dealing with and how I needed help. It made for some miserable people in my house for the first 6 months or so after my diagnosis.