www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Monday 29 March 2010

Citizens Advice press release

Seriously ill and disabled people pushed into seeking work without any help or support
Read the report here

Here's the replies this report generated on our fans page:

*I was found fit for work after my medical assessment for ESA.....I am currently waiting for a tribunal date. Makes me laugh as I have since been awarded higher rate mobility and lower rate care DLA, system is bonkers!!

*I'm actually stunned I made it through my ESA assessment without a problem. I was a bit confused about what it was, you see. I thought it was an assessment where they chose what sort of work you could do. I was so bitter about not working I was dead excited about it and rabbited on at my assessor "So, what sort of work can I do?" He looked quite stunned and after assessing me decided it wasn't in my best interest to go back to work after all.

*I have to work part time because I can't physically manage to do full time hours with my Fibromyalgia and Joint Hypermobility. I get NO financial help at all. The system is failing us.

*Joint Hypermobility? Is that a trait of FM or something separate?

*It's awful I'm so thankful I can still do part time and survive by making cuts at home. Am dreading the day I can't work any more.

*I get lowest rate DLA so don't have to work yet, but get this, I don't get it for any fibro symptoms I get it because I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands and there for cant chop/prepare foods alone.
The fact I cant tell if water is hot or cold,that I fall over,that I can't lift or carry or that I can't walk more than a few yards without stopping are not even considered! Makes me so cross as I know I would pass their examinations to go to work if that's the case.

*It's something separate. I've had HMS for years but the FM is more recent.

*"Joint hypermobility, can be a co-morbid disorder with FM, but it is also a stand alone illness like a lot of the multiple problems we suffer.

It is an autoimmune condition where the connective tissue gets weakened in error by your own immune system and the joints become loose and 'hypermobile' from the weak connective tissues.

Like a lot of things it can be mild right up to debilitating in range.

I have it to a moderate degree and most of my major joints crack and 'pop' all the time. You'll often get Costochondritis with it as that affects the ribs and breast bone etc, and caused intense pain that really closely mimics cardiac pain. Costochondritis is often termed as 'Non cardiac Chest Pain, which is a little vague and can give 'others' or 'Joe public' the distinct impression that nothing is causing I which is patently false where Costo' is concerned.Costo' is a much more precise and helpful and settling diagnosis.

I have costo' pain throughout every day, and was treated with scary powerful meds for 6 months for severe angina until a battery of tests and 7 visits to A & E ruled out cardiac problems then they stopped the meds. Costo' is scary first of all and then just downright excruciating ever-after.

I find this one of the worst parts of my fibro, and a painful ribcage and pain in all the costochondral joints is so restrictive, you just don;t realise how much the 'fixed' parts of your upper body move in all and even simple everyday activities.

Joint hypermobility can get progressively worse over time, and if severe enough, surgery can be an option, if say you are continually dislocating a shoulder or knee or ankle etc.

So yet another lovely potential problem for us all to worry about, if you don't have it or to deal with if you do have it like me. I'll pop a joint and be in agony with a very sore joint that I canuse any more than gingerly at best. I have become aware of a slow progression in the severity of mine and saw a musculoskeletal consultant privately to get some gentle strengthening exercise tips. They haven't helped much, but then again they may have slowed it and had I not done them I'd be worse now? Fibro only knows.

As always there is little chance of being certain with so many unknowns and very few medical professionals with a genuine interest, at least not on the NHS anyway.

Don't forget we are all different of course so there is no assurance you will get this, nor if you do of how bad or manageable it will be. Know your own body and push for treatments until you exhaust everything available on the NHS for free, before heading down 'other avenues' many are lucky in the sense that they can cope with prescribed drugs and can move on as best as able.

Good luck if you are showing signs, in finding a treatment that works for you".


*I get lowest level of DLA and want to cry about it, we have so little money, I can't even afford to buy things like the pads for my tens machine, but hey - although they accept I can't work cos I didn't go back to work when my sons were tiny. I can't claim any benefits except for the meagre DLA.

Thank God I have thyroid problems which means I get my prescriptions paid for. Without that I would be finished off for good!

*What about Americans, where do we go??

*I think it's shocking how we have to PROVE how ill and disabled we are to claim a benefit and not get pushed towards job seekers allowance.

I have already endured my ESA medical assessment and now have the verbal medical assessment to look forward to. I will then be told by THEM if I am fit for work or not.

I'm still fighting to get DLA, so am struggling to live and support my two children. What can you do??

*"I have Fibro and osteoarthritis and I also suffer from panic attacks and depression. I have been registered disabled for 21 years and have been in receipt of D.L.A for 20 years. I get full rate mobility and care premium, in may last year my partner of 30 years met someone on the internet and walked out on me. Because my circumstances had changed as I was now single,I had to put in a claim for ESA.

I was sent for a medical assessment and I failed to get any points at all and the doctor who did my assessment lied over and over again. I am now waiting for my tribunal to be heard and I am getting £71 a week ESA.

The stress of all this has made me so ill, I cant eat, or sleep and I am very depressed. Why are they allowed to treat people like this? And why are we called liars and even worse the medical teams that have treated me for 21 years are being called liars too. It is absolutely disgusting and unfair!! gentle hugs everyone" x x x

*"I feel so sorry for you. I have fibro, degenerative disk, scoliosis, and more. I am forced to work to pay our bills, no point going to ask for disability in America cause I had a friend who had a leg missing but was told she could still work.

No wonder when I get home I do not want to see anybody. I do not want any company. I have lived in the same place for ten years and had 3 visitors beside the guys that fix broken stuff for the complex".

*It's good that such a respected organisation is making a stand. Oxfam (which also provides claims advice, strangely enough) have produced a similar report with similar examples.

*"Had my review for incapacity last week as they hadn't seen me for around 3 years. Had to go to a job centre in Eccles (I live near Salford Quays) and they won't refund taxi fares, only bus fares.

The advisor I saw didn't seem to be interested in my condition,all she wanted to know was what job I thought I could do,and had no idea about Fibro or what it took for me to just get to the appointment in the first place"!

*I did the same thing 2 weeks ago for the second time. This time I took in books and anything else I could get my hands on to show them that I have a" real problem."
Just waiting to hear back they said I qualify, just waiting on the confirmation letter.
Don't give up! its hard I know, trying to get people to understand or believe us. xx

*Hi, I went for my review a few weeks back I live in Hemel Hempstead, they wanted me to travel to london on the train, I refused and got my GP to write a letter they sent a taxi for me to go and come back

Appeal against them not refunding your fare my letter said I could claim for taxi fares as well I'm glad I didn't pay as my fare would of been around a hundred pounds. I was told, good luck with the outcome, the advisor I saw didn't even ask me any questions he just typed what was on my form on the the pc.