www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Saturday 27 March 2010

What hints and tips would you give to someone looking to find a new GP in a new area?

*Word of mouth You need other peoples views on the practice they are in, maybe even chat to the receptionists ?

*I phoned the PCT in the area they will tell you all the doctors that are taking on new patients

*I'd ask how long wait for appointment and what the emergency pro is and last but not least do they have a Dr that understands Fibro

*Pct-primary care trust.

*Someone that actually listens and doesn't make you feel like you're crazy. They need to have a lot of knowledge about Fibro and be willing to learn more to help you.
As someone else has said, by word of mouth.

*Gp Receptionists, pop in and ask to speak with the practice managers, look for a big practice that offers a god variety of services, local chemists also tend to know of good GP's

*Some cool advice here, any more tips we can offer? my brains gone to mush now!

*I haven't been to a GP for years. I have taken the 'holistic' approach, diet, exercise, acupuncture, chiropractic and massage. I sort of have a beef with 'western medicine' so I guess that is why I don't have a GP.

*My doctor is really good but the other one there thinks Fibro is a myth and can be treated with paracetamol and the receptionists treat you like a druggie 3 times I've had to go and beg for my meds when my doctor is off so I would ask friend and neighbours.

*After recently searching for a new GP, I can tell you the best thing to do is ask for one of the practice's doctor's to call you. Ask them their views regarding your type of CP. I've actually had doctors tell me straight out that they will not treat Fibro.

*Check out the "good doctor list" on www.co-cure.com

*I think that is a tricky one, I guess I would leave it to instinct and if you get no satisfaction then move on to another GP.

*Ask at the local FM or ME support group.

*I am currently going through this same thing. Even word of mouth, you will always find some people that don't like the recommended doctor. So what I have done is call the prospective doctor and set up a consult. I told the secretary that I didn't want to waste the doctor's time to find out that he or she couldn't help us (hubby and me) or to find out we didn't like them. All the ones I have called have understood and agree with me. All doctors can set up and bill a consult and once you meet if one or the other, you or them, doesn't hit it off or you find out that particular doctor can't help your health needs, that's the end of it. Doing it this way, you will be sure to find the doctor for you and your health needs.

*Ask the receptionist

*I will need to find a new GP when I move to Devon in July but there is only one practice where I am going so I am worried how I will get treated.

*I need to find a new GP mine sucks !

*I would urge anyone with a bad GP to move to a new one asap, your health can only suffer if you have a GP who isn't interested.

*Lots of good tips on here to help those looking,

*Our Gp new nothing of FM when we met him almost two years ago, I was his first FM patient, We agreed to learn together, with the added bonus of a lady working in the chemist attached to our GP, she also has FM, so between us we've taught him heaps and he now everyone for miles who has FM goes to see him. He's probably cursing us!

*sometimes having a GP who is willing to learn is every bit as valuable to you. It's your health so don't accept poor service

*Everyone I have seen in the past 9 years has sucked, I have given up.

*Talk to FM people and see if there's anyone they know in the new area who has a recommendation. Also check with the new insurance company to see who is "in network" and see what names are in both lists.

*Don't be afraid to stop going to a doctor you feel uncomfortable with. Take control of your care - don't leave it up to the doctors to know it all ... you know what is going on with your body better than anyone.

*Find someone who listens and believes your pain is real and works with you to try different combinations of meds to help you feel the best that you can--even though you'll always feel fatigued and pain.

*Easier said than done I believe!

*After what my pain doc said to me I think things are going to get worse with GP's, he told me that they have to have us in treated and out within 7 minutes so they have not got time for a complex illness like ours.