www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Saturday 17 April 2010

Complete the sentence: the one thing I hate about hospitals is...


*The florescent lighting I have lupus I react to them.

*There isn't one thing. I hate everything, refuse to go in on my own!

*The continual blood draws and the fact that they wake you up to see if you need anything to help you sleep.

*Ignorance about Fibromyalgia

*All of the above and more.

*The way some health care professionals assume that I must be stupid (I'm overweight and dyslexic, as well as having FM) and that they are so much more holier than thou!
It would be nice to be a person who is listened to.

*I use to work in one, and now I don't like going to the hospital...even to visit...I have to make myself.

*The deliberate under staffing. It was bad when I was working, and has gotten worse since. Not even the best, most compassionate, well-informed nurse can adequately care for patients when administration keeps increasing the patient-nurse ratio! I'm extremely grateful to have gotten out of hospital nursing, even if it was ME/CFS/FMS that necessitated it.

*The smell.

*All the staff coming in with their perfume, powders, and laundry scents all over them.

*The germs you can catch that can kill us. When I had my last Stroke the A&E Doc said I was safer at home

*When you tell them you have Fibro and they let a person new at starting IV's practice on you! I know IV's hurt everyone, but if you have fibro and they have to poke you like three times it is unreal!
My mum has told off more than one person for this! It's usually "Go get someone who knows what they are doing!"

*The smell

*I appreciate staff are under the pump with lack of funding, etc. But developing good listening skills would make staff/patient relationships work so much more smoothly.

*Everything.

*Being told it's all in my head.

*Everything that everyone has said. I would love to meet a professional at the hospital that truly understood what we go through. gentle hugs everyone.

*They never let you get a good night's sleep!

*The length of time they make you wait to see a doctor to get help.

*They never tell you what's going on "We don't know"

*People have been mostly nice to me. I just don't think they know what to do about ME/Fibro. I think they do what they can which is very little to be honest.

*Their smell.

*Unanswered questions but doctors who don't have a clue and can't be bothered to find out either.

*Also when you go in there with any problem at all its immediately my Fibro ME or hyperlaxity! There is more to me than that!

*The food and boredom unless you get in a ward with some yappy people like myself.

*Doctors who aren't educated, and/or don't believe or listen to the patient - YES it IS a real disease, NO I'm NOT faking or looking for drugs, YES I KNOW.


*what works best for my body after going through this hundreds of times over the past 15 years!

*I like them, good drugs, just can't sleep well in them usually. I had a great experience last May when they took a tumour and two ribs out.
My stay was in ICU, and then step down ICU. I was kept VERY comfortable. The food in Step down ICU wasn't good though.
I had NO Fibro pain for 2 weeks. because of the morphine they gave me there and to take home.

*Waiting!

*Everything?

*The smell. It reminds me of visiting my mother when she was dying.

*Being treated like a second class citizen because my illnesses are silent and invisible.

*Everything! YUK!

*All of the above, plus being stuck in bed and not having my own stuff around me, and no furbabies on the bed with me!

*Waiting.

*They wake me up to ask me if I need anything to help with sleep.

*Taking blood and sarcastic doctors.

*The dust and dirt.

*Having to deal with Patientline if you want to watch tv!

*They are all like cattle markets, or is that just me?

*The waiting.

*I honestly wish I were well enough to still work. OMHS would then have at least one RN who believed in and generally understood ME/CFS/FMS! As it is, I dread the thought of ever having to go there as a patient-I know, from the other side of the equation, how clueless nurses and doctors there tend to be.

*Sick people are there! I know we go there to get better but.

*Being there.

*I honestly love it when they give you pain medication and the doctor never comes in while someone is visiting.
The Doctor comes late at night or before the sun comes up and you are too out of it to remember what they said. Hello I have Fibro Fog!

*Doctors who think they know everything and know nothing!

*Doctors in disciplines unrelated to Fibro/CFS who are insistent that nothing they want to do - no tests, no treatments - could possibly have an effect on the Fibro/CFS because the conditions are unrelated. Well, duh!
Oh, and the endless attempts to educate medical staff about what Fibromyalgia is, when you're too ill to speak.