www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Saturday 24 April 2010

What is the most positive thing that has happened as a result of being affected by illness?


*BF helps more around the house.

*The most positive thing that has happened as a result of having fibro is all the new wonderful friends I have met.

*Zilch, squat. sorry!

*My children never having to go to a babysitters and being able to be home with them.

*My sister and I (which weren't very close prior to) both have Fibro, now we are best friends!

*Being able to appreciate the small things (like kids do) whenever I am able to function normally.

*Learnt to appreciate the little things. Because even the smallest thing is a huge achievement on a bad day.

*Although it was sad at the time, losing my job. I now have a different outlook and lifestyle and can look at future new career paths.

*The wonderful and understanding friends I have met on facebook that are going through the same thing I am with Fibro. Now I know I am NOT alone :)

*I have learned how to say NO. it has also been one of the hardest.

*I get more time with my beautiful 6 yr old son.

*My job would never have given me the time to be such an integral part of his life.
Mum and I get on great even though we aren't together any more, so events have conspired to allow me time with my boy.
There is ALWAYS an upside, you just have to be open minded enough to see it.

*I agree Connie that is what I struggle with the most.

*My husband past away about 18 months ago, and as crazy as it sounds have FM for over 1/2 my life allowed me to not 'get hurt' when my address book cleared out. Having lost friends because of FM made me realize that people have a hard time dealing with 'issues' especially unseen issues like 'grief' or 'fibromyalgia'.
Hard to explain but FM has allowed me to know my body better than most and that has allowed me to survive this very traumatic loss.

*I have learned to start being good to me. I'm not perfect- I don't have to be, and I don't have to beat myself up for it.

*Made so many wonderful Friends.

*Hi Fibro friends! I invite you to join me at my new Christian Fibro support group. Go to: " support a friend with fibromyalgia" on Facebook. Thanks for your support!

*My inner strength, peace and love.

*I have to agree with everyone who said more time with family and appreciating the little things. There's so much you take for granted until you aren't able to do as much for yourself and/or are forced to slow down.

*I'm at home to look after my husband as best I can while he goes out to work 12hr night shifts! I look after all the bills, payments shopping etc.
Even though I cant lift very well cos he unloads when I get back plus I'm doing an OU course part time which I never had the time to do before and with any luck I will be able to find a new career at the end.

*Finding out who my friends really are.

*I became a stronger person,and don't take my health for granted. I actually started taking care of myself and my body!

*There have been many blessings along the way but some highlights are: learning to appreciate the little things, being home with my daughter, a more compassionate, easy-going outlook, finding out who your true friends are.

*I too am unable to work, so I have been lucky to start on line college courses and spend time with my daughter. I may even be cleared to have another child. This time without working it will be a much lower stress pregnancy.

*Not Fibro specifically but my daughters life limiting illness has made me a better person in many ways. It taught me what is important in life. Love, respect, kindness & acceptance and I take nothing for granted.

*My faith has strengthened!

*Gave me the time to spend with my grandson.

*Being ill has forced me to take a hard look at my priorities in life. I've realized that my family IS my life-nothing else comes close. Even though I'm not able to work, or consistently accomplish things, I still matter to my family. That alone is reason to hang on to life.

*I just read your comment. You are so right-we now know who we matter to, and who we don't. Love you, sweetie!

*Who real friends are, how to focus on the most important things.

*If I only pick one ultimate thing, it made my faith on God stronger.

*It has made realize who is my true family and friends are, which at first was hard to take in but then realized I can reach out and help others like me, to stay positive everyday, to get out of bed, that I have a loving, giving husband, friends and family. That there is so much hope in the world. that the most important thing in life is not how CLEAN how your house is but how much you are loved by your friends and family.

*Learning to connect with my kids on different levels.

*I couldn't think of anything at first, but as someone else said, losing my job was a good thing, even though I was devastated originally. I had a bad fog day at work, and I don't know if I missed my meds or if it's BECAUSE I took them, but I made a huge mistake and got fired for it.
But I'm glad now because I got to take some time off, I got out of a situation that was bad anyway (long story, but the environment was becoming hostile), and now just a month later I've got another job with much, much more room to move up the ranks.

*Its made me stronger.

*Being able to spend time with my 2 lovely sons and darling husband over the years, I know it has been positive for them too!

*The new friends I have met here on Facebook, but that has been said already, but I have to agree on that one, they have been a great deal of support.

*It's made me a stronger person overall.

*Becoming best friends with my man instead of two people living in the same space frozen into a rut.

*I learned what the 100 years from now it won't matter is all about! I have taken time to "smell the roses", appreciate the smallest things I use to sometimes overlook.
I have learned not to be so hard on myself and to stop expecting perfection from me.
I never expected it from anyone else, and my faith has grown stronger I know now more than ever nothing will happen to me today that God can't handle!

*I have learned to say "NO" when needed and I no longer do things out of obligation. Even if it has to do with my family. The only people that matter are my husband, kids, and a handful of close friends (like family.)

*I was a workaholic nurse before I had my back injury and developed fibro. I had a dream of going back to school and getting my degree, but I didn't think I had the time. Everything that has happened to me has enabled me to have the time and the resources to turn what could be my adversity into my dream. I'm now a full-time psychology student, taking it one day at a time until my degree is completed!

* Nothing!

*I've discovered I don't need to be so bloody minded strong willed! I can actually rely on other people. I learned weakness, but in a good way.

*I became an an artist and had my first showing of paintings last year. I have learned how to forgive and let it go. I have become more prayeful not just for my self but for the world.
I volunteer and teach GED classes because I haven't found a job yet I can work. I am thankful for the little things. The days, or minutes I am with out pain.
The people who call me because they know my energy is often to low to call them. Excepting that My very best is my very best after that there is nothing else I can offer.

*Accepting (sp) sorry

*It definitely has made me a much stronger and determined person. Having FM And being wheelchair bound due to an accident certainly has not changed my personality or positive outlook on life.

I'm just so grateful to be alive and wanting to make a difference positively in others peoples lives and be a great role model.

*Learning who are real friends & not taking them, or anyone, for granted.

*I've been able to stay at home with my children.

*Finally getting down to studying for a degree, and having the time to do it, even if the Fibro fog makes it hard I know it will be worth it.

*Being home with the kids and not having the added stress of work! Not missing anything they do.

*I have met many lovely people who are suffering too.

*I have to stop and smell the roses!

*Making new friends, making me even more compassionate

*Nothing, my life has been changed by this illness. I can't work any more, I can't dance any more. Nothing positive has happened at all.

*Not much.just more grateful.

*New friends and I've learned a lot about an illness I'd never heard of before.
I'm also raising funds for research. Feel free to pass the link along if you know anyone who might want to contribute - even a dollar helps. THANK YOU!

FM Aware.org

*My life was perfect before FM

*I genuinely appreciate hard work. When I am able to do it, it is a joy, no grumbling, it just feels good.
It made me more aware of myself, physically and emotionally, which in turn makes me more discerning of those around me.

*Learning to accept my limitations and work with them rather than fighting them.

*I lost my job & thought it was the end of the world, but the last year has been so positive! I took a short photography course, I did some voluntary work (photography) and now, with the help of my hubby, I have my own website and have photographed my 1st wedding!
I've learnt to make my own way in life, and make my own money, and I get to see my friends & family more. I may not have as much money as before, but I have more time, and that is the most important thing!

*My priorities are much more focused and simplistic.

*Realizing what is most important in life - and what really isn't. I like Barbara's comment - my needs are also more focused and simplistic!

*Having had symptoms for three decades plus and only recently diagnosed with fibro, I'd already accepted my limitations and learned to work within them and pace myself.
But having fibro diagnosis has helped - if just to give it a name. People don't take anxiety and its other debilitating associated symptoms as seriously I've found.

*More family time at home.

*Made me a more compassionate person. Also helped me to make more room for people to define themselves and not make so many assumptions.

*I agree with all of you..more time with those who truly matter. I especially empathise with Kate, after years of being called a hypochondriac it is nice to be able to say, hang on, I am FM!

*Helping others like me and making friends along the way.

*Thank you. Mind you, lots still don't know what FM is either!

*Met some amazing people - started a fibro support group in New Kent VA (USA) and am able to help others.

*The good friends I have made since being diagnosed.

*It has given me a lot more patience than I used to have perhaps that's because I have had to sit around in hospitals, and waiting rooms, so much but seeing people in there who are a lot worse of than you are, makes you think how lucky you are.

*I've found that my relationship is rock solid. We've been through two redundancies and me getting sick. I know that when we make our wedding vows, we'll already have proved the "for better or for worse", and the "in sickness and in health" part.

*In addition to everything mentioned above, my CFIDS and Fibro led me to cognitive therapy (as in Dr. Albert Ellis) and re-framing. I came to realize that things I thought were "unbearable" really weren't - because I was bearing them! And I came to realize the truth that happiness is a choice, and an inside job - I can be happy without regard to pain, limitations, or anyone else's attitudes or behaviour.

*It's helped me to get even closer to God than I was before. It's made my faith stronger. It helped me to start doing art again which is always a great form of therapy. It's made me more patient & more aware of when I'm complaining.
Fibro has also allowed me to help/encourage others who are going through it. For those of you who can't think of one thing positive from Fibro, I encourage you to think again. I know you can find something. Soft hugs to everybody.