www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Saturday 24 April 2010

Question from a member: HTP 5

I am considering taking HTP 5 as heard that it can be effective for Fibro. Wondered if anyone had tried it and whether it had helped?

*hmm, interesting, when I worked at a vitamin store, 5-HTP was recommended for all sorts of things; let us know!

*Wondering the same about low dose naltrexone.

*No and No. Helpful Eh.

*It cannot be taken with any antidepressants. Make sure you check for drug interactions before you take it.

*I've heard bad things about that product, something to do with side effects being worse than the symptoms in a lot of people but at the end of the day its the individuals choice isn't it.

*Tremaine can someone tell me what it is, and I would also be interested in what others are taking for Fibro pain.

*I have been taking Lyrica for the past couple of years, and it helped at first, but not so much for the past couple of months. I don't go back to the MD until August, so I am hoping that this will pass. So I am curios myself to see how others answer your question.

*I didn't notice any difference, but I didn't take it for very long.

*I tried Htp5 didn't see any difference.

*Cherry active, I heard Is good for Fibro. Been saying going to try it but keep forgetting to go to shop to get it!

*5-HTP doesn't react well with other drugs, you have to take it alone, and like antidepressants, you have to let it build up in your system before it works.

*I take prescription, high dose amino acids, that brought me back from the brink of disability, and helped me lose lots of weight.

*Exactly what amino acids and they are prescription? Please expand on that if you could. Thank you!

* Have you heard about Monavie? It has helped many people with Fibro.

*I have bu trans patches which work fab and co codamol, never heard of the others sorry.

*I'm interested in the high amino acids too.

*A good site with loads of info is the Fibro 360 Community/Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centres, they are here on fb, also just search Fibro and you will have tons of info.

*What is htp5? I have never heard of it.

*Tell us more I have not heard about this.

*Most people get something off their doctor for pain and I've been ill with M.E & fibro for 10yrs (+ so many other things) and never been offered any pain relief apart from the anti-depressants I'm on. I'm not even sure what I could be taking.any ideas?

*I take it and have been for about a year I also take calcium, evening primrose and magnesium with gentle exercise and yoga plus a good diet I cant say am pain free that's for sure but I am med's free now! Need to think positive gets you farther!

*I use 5htp - 100 mg and yes it helps a lot. I missed a couple of days (from being disorganised and running out) and by god I knew about it.
Had a mini flare and my mood bottomed out. I like the fact it helps my low mood *and* the fibro too win, win in my book. You mustn't take it when on anti depressants though and possibly a few other meds this site is really good if you want to find out more:
HTP5 Information site


*For me personally I get little side effects from 5htp whereas meds from doc make me very sick. So now only taking moderate pain relief as and when needed.

*5 HTP is 5-hydroxytrypophan an amino acid that helps form the bodies happy hormone serotonin. to quote the article I have read it says, 'because increased levels of serotonin are thought to help us combat depression, reduce appetite, ease chronic headaches, INCREASE PAIN TOLERANCE AND RELIEVE SLEEP PROBLEMS, 5 HTP may be helpful in treating these conditions although this has yet to be clinically proven.'
The article also says that it should not be taken if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or on antidepressants. it is expensive £14.99 for 60 capsules at Holland and Barrett although it is currently half price until 28 or 29th April 2010 (cant remember the exact date).
I have bought some and am now guinea pigging myself with these tabs to see if they have any effect. will keep you all posted! if not its back on the lyrica and a quick couple of stone added to the body weight. what's better fatter and in less pain or thinner and in agony!

*I tried it, but you have to give up any anti depressants you're taking at least a week before starting the 5-HTP, as it doesn't interact well with them. I have to say I found it hard to tolerate as it gave me nightmares, but I started on 100mg and maybe the trick is to start on a lower dose and build up? I've been recommended trying Low Dose Naltrexone and am hoping to start that in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

*The only thing that really makes any difference is pacing, patience and eating well. I have tried all the drugs offered and just end up no better or even worse.

*I tried 5-HTP once for anxiety and it didn't work. Then I read something re few people it doesn't work for and they responded to something else - melotonin (?) I couldn't get the stuff anyway. I'm now on paroxetine low dose and that has helped a bit with anxiety though have put on weight.

*The sunshine helps.

*I am interested too, I need some relief and I have had gastric Bypass and medications are a issue for me. Needing something though I have my good days and my bad days and when I have a bad day it is really a bad day.

* What is it? How do I research it? Where do I find it/ What do the letters stand for? Never heard of it.

*I have heard this is helpful, although you should not take it if on antidepressants due to drug reaction.

*Yes I take it daily along with mellatonin,ldn,Q10,vit c,giniko biloba, siberian ginseng, natural glandulars [ nutri adrenals]