www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Monday 12 April 2010

Question from a member: does anyone else have involuntary muscle spasms? restless legs/arms?


*Yes I do, hate it!

*Yes, that's how my illness started, restless leg syndrome (RLS). lots of stuff on the web, most doc's claim if we would walk more we wouldn't have it uh huh, right.

*Yes, especially around the time that 'mother nature' visits.

*Oh hell yeah, real nightmare.

*Oh yes, my legs do the river dance without my permission on a daily basis.
*Yes I do on a regular pattern they will suddenly appear and can last for a while for me have currently got them at the moment too no matter which way I sit they will just jump.

*Oh god yes drives me mad!

*That's interesting. Mine started after having a hysterectomy, no signs of it before then, but no doctor has ever seen a correlation between RLS/Fibro/and hormones, but I think there must be.

*It's dreadful.

*Restless arms and legs take adartrel (ropinirole) for it cos it drove me mad.

*Oh Yeah, restless legs muscle spasms you name it.

*Yes have that a lot.

*add 1 more to the list! I do find sleeping with a potato helps!

*My legs get twitchy at night especially before I fall asleep really annoying.

*I have hem too. Annoying as heck. Usually happens in my legs, hands, and back. Very irritating.

*Yep. I kicked my physio today not intentionally! my whole body can have a spasm but mainly legs and feet.

*Yeah its a pain, I was told to take Magnesium and it has helped a lot. still get an odd bout but not the way it used to be days on end.

*Yes, yes and yes

*I've had it for as long as I remember. I was constantly chastised as a child for my 'st vitus dance' antics.

*When I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea I was also diagnosed with restless leg syndrome. Besides the C-Pap, Nutontin was added to my fibromyalgia meds.

*Yes. I had them a lot more frequently until I started taking magnesium. Everyone is different, but it worked for me.

*Yes!

*Yes legs are the worst though.

*Yes, restless legs, drive me mad.

*I do. You can have restless leg syndrome separate and not have Fibromyalgia or it can be a symptom of Fibromyalgia.
That is go along with it. There are many symptoms that go along with Fibromyalgia. As an idiotic neurologist told my husband and I once a few years back when our son was so extremely ill a human cannot have more than one illness at a time.
I would love to know what college he attended! So, you may have many other things that go along or are separate from Fibromyalgia.

*Restless leg Syndrome, Acid reflux,muscle spasms, something called a girdle hug or as with Multiple Sclerosis called the MS hug,and this list can go on and on.


*Yes all the time it's most annoying.

*I feel like I have everything that goes with Fibromyalgia

*Yup. Don't get so much twitching as restlessness. A constant sort-of ache/tingle (how do I describe?) seemingly in all my muscles, esp legs.
That won't go away no matter how much stretching, massaging, or exercise I try to do - keeps me awake at night.

*I've had fibro for more than 25 yrs...just recently my legs started the jumping bean dance when I get tired. I've started taking potassium with my magnesium at bedtime. Has helped, but I can definitely tell when I miss a dose!

*Restless legs, and muscle spasms when trying to rest.

*Yes, especially when trying to get off to sleep, or maybe that is when I notice it more? Arms and legs, and apparently I also jump whilst sleeping too.

*I don't, but my husband who doesn't have Fibro has a big problem with restless legs.

*Yeah its called restless leg syndrome(I know common sense) I have it really one of the reasons I'm taking sleeping tablets to relax the muscles.

*Yes.

*Is it just me that gets involuntary spasm of the jaw! you can all of a sudden have your jaw clamp shut, very embarrassing and sore.

*Oh yea, I have spasms and restless legs. if I have done any amount of walking, even grocery shopping, my calves and feet cramp and I get that restless feeling in my legs.

*I have muscle spasms in my legs and arms, and RLS.

*Yes, you can look at my arms or legs and watch the muscles bouncing around. They usually end up turning into real bad cramps.

*I take Neurontin for my RLS. I've also noticed that when I'm tired/stressed that my L-eye twitches/tics too. Whenever my legs cramp, I've found it helpful to stand up & walk a while (or to the bathroom).

*I get the restless leg thing mostly when I get the I can't sleep at all for days thing.

* Yes I have it all the time. It is worse at bedtime or in a movie theatre. I take flexeril for it and it helps a lot.

*Yes I sure do! yet don't know if from FM or from the nerve and muscle damage I now have due to hack job back surgery!

*YES!

*Yes, keeps me awake at night.

*Sometimes my muscles jerk for no reason. It is quick and over with fast.

*Yes, I do. Drives me crazy.

*Yes I twitch.

*Yes.

*Constantly the muscle spasms. My friends think it's funny. No RLS though.

*All the time! Hands, fingers, arms, legs, shoulders, neck, stomach muscles. It gets worse when I'm tired.

*Yes I do, but started Mirapex and it has made a tremendous difference.

*Yes esp in the evenings - both legs or in a long car journey!

*With me it's my left leg. Had it ever since my son laid on my sciatic nerve during pregnancy. That was over 31 years ago.

*What about muscle cramps?

*Yes but mainly legs used to be just when sat down or in bed but they do it when I'm stood up now very annoying.

*Yes, I have got them now, and my legs are so painful. I know I am not going to see sleep for hours in spite of being drugged to eyeballs.
Roll on tomorrow! Sorry, but for me this is one of the worst aspects of FM specially when it collides with IBS too.

*I get the RLS twitches AND nerve pain in my legs and feet. Talk about frustrating! I have found that adding cayenne supplement to the rest of the mega-med routine helps immensely.

*Oh yeah, the involuntary muscle spasms are well known over here!

*Yeah get them all the time, some they can be quite violent! Doc has given me baclofen in the beginning but now I have to take diazapam with the baclofen to ward them off!

*I also get spasm's in my jaw. Very painful and frustrating. Having almost constant facial pain is absolutely awful and definitely limits your life. I sympathize with anyone going through the same and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

*I used to get what I called "jumpy muscles" in my lower trapezius/rhomboid area (upper back, especially between the shoulder blades). A tiny dose of clonazepam before bed takes care of them, allowing me to get to sleep more easily.

*Yep legs and eyes.

*All the time sometimes I hit my husband in bed. And it's not good with a spoonful of jelly in me hand, and leg spasms are pretty grrr too

*Hubby finally insisted on a king size bed so he doesn't get kicked all night. Never knew the spasms in my jaw were a part of it. Fibro definitely keeps life "interesting", we never know what's going to crop up next.
Hubby has it, too, but only has the spasms and cramps not all the other "fun" things that go along.

*Muscle spasms are just starting and driving me nuts, they kinda hurt a little. Restless legs I have from time to time.

*Geez my legs are like Mexican jumping beans at night when I go to bed. I have kicked my husband who knows how many times, and the times I have spilt my coffee/tea from spasms in my arms. It only seems to be the worst when I am the most tired.

*Constantly & even worse when I try to sleep.Deep burning in legs & feet.

*Occasionally in my arms and legs!

*I get twitchy muscles, usually in my thighs, arms and sometimes even my eyelids! I've had my jaw suddenly clamp down too. I've bitten my tongue lots of times. I used to suffer with restless legs but that stopped after a short course of quinnine. Only get them very occasionally now.

*Restless Legs Syndrome, and defiantly have moments where I HAVE to move.

*Yes me too.

*Yes and yes--tics in eyes if I'm late taking Neurontin or Skelaxin.

*Yep, wakes me up, and hubby if he sleeps near me

*I once described that feeling to a physio as "the feeling that you get a few seconds before pins and needles start, but not the pins and needles themselves" and she said "oh, so tingling" no, that's different.
I get spasms in my back (kidney kind of area) - so my whole body jumps, it is freaky, it happens when I am asleep too! And in my neck. I get restless legs too.
I think there is a connection between Fibro and hormones, I know mine need sorting. Also my memory is shot to bits. I am 25.

*Yes thank you and its normally when im standing up!

*Yes, sporadically.

*Yes, I have shooting pains this morning in my legs. Night time is horrid when you just don't know what to do.

*Spasms in the jaw are usually from myofascial trigger points. I get those, also, and hate it because you have to be careful you don't bite your tongue!
I learned a lot about trigger points from Dr. Devin Starlanyl's site.

*I get restless legs at night when my legs feel as if they want to jump about all over the bed - very tiring and frustrating, but have just started taking magnesium and vitamin e before bed and seems to be helping a lot!

*Yes

*Arms, legs, between shoulder blades, rib area, neck and face.

*Yes I do, terrible spasms in the back so that I can't sit up or roll over from laying down. I get jerks in my arms that if I am holding something at the time it tends to get launched across the room or I end up wearing it.

*Haven't read all the comments but after about 20 years of trying every remedy under the sun I was given Ropinirole. I take it every night and as long as I take it I don't get restless leg any more. Lifesaver!

*Yep I do I have Restless legs syndrome and my muscles spasm on and off.

*Yes same here.

*es same here drives me mad!

*All the time, the other day I nearly threw a cup of tea over my hubby. But I damn well missed.

*Just read all the comments and saw some one else gets eye twitch. I didn't think it was part of fibro hell!

*Yep restless legs at bed time drives me nuts.

*Yep! Both. I used to keep my husband awake.

*Yep

*Yes , the Dr prescribed me with Lorazepam, and it has stopped them.

*Yes frequently.

*Yes RLS is my constant companion but I have kept it under control so I can sleep with my pain meds and sleeping medication. Mirapex did not work for me nor did Requip or the diazepam or baclofen which I didn;t even realize was used for RLS.
I just know I tried taking it and couldn't. I described RLS to my doctor by saying it feels as though mostly when I try to lay down that my legs want to do battle with our bed,
They thrash about and I too have either waken my husband or am in so much pain from it hurting so incredibly bad he cant go to sleep.

*Yes I do and always have, especially if I am tired. Sometimes my arm just jumps and I throw or loose whatever I have in my hand, now I just giggle but it can be so frustrating.

*Yup always when am trying to relax or go to sleep, very annoying. I don't want to take any more medication so just have to put up with it I guess.

*Every day! Legs, arms, back and shoulders. Usually at night when trying to sleep.

*Either awake or asleep I am often having spasms in or around the whole body. Not pleasant but apparently quite fun to watch according to my son.

*Yep

*I'm sorry I didn't read the 105 comments before mine before writing this so I might be another duplicate response.

I have muscle spasms all the time and have restless leg syndrome. It was one of the first symptoms of Fibro that popped up after my injury (the cause of my Fibro).
I take Requip for the RLS and either Zanaflex, Amrix or Flexeril for the spasms (NOTE: I do not take them together but they work differently so sometimes I have to take one and another day I have to take a different one.)
For me, the spasms and RLS are worse at night or when I'm trying to rest. I'm sure that's because the muscles are trying to relax. I also find that I have more spasms when I've been poked and prodded at a (usually new) doctor's office.

*yep I get them all the time and constantly, I get very little sleep if any I also get violent jolting/jerking movements on a daily basis.
This scares my hubby as dose the rest of my fibro symptoms,I don't take any other medication for it other than what I already take.
I just wish that they could find one medication for all fibro and related symptoms for all of us who suffer this infernal condition.

*Good to know all this, I always thought my jerking and spasms were from the syringomyelia not the fibro. I have the jerking of my legs, arms, and even pelvic area, and my hands grasp or clench. I was on baclofen, but now I'm on Kolonopin for it, and it seems to be the only thing that helps. I was told they were called Myocolonic Jerks (sorry if spelled wrong). They hurt I know that.
I have so many muscle spasms, and the ones that last and don't' go away are so painful. I have them in my calf Easter while at my Aunts and I swear I was ready to just stab myself in the leg to see if that would stop them! I get them constantly along my ribcage, and I try to rub those out, I get them in my hips as well and sometimes my hands cramp up. We're so much fun aren't we!

*Oh, yes, I can relate. I get muscle spasms and jerks bad enough to wake me up. Now I take gabbapentin and can finally sleep at night. Don't you just love this disease?

*I get this most nights n nowt will stop it for me. Its horrid! How can I stop it?

*This quite often happens to me but I take amitryptaline now and it helps along with pain killers to go to bed with.

*Hell yes when warm its worse there is a tablet that works for it but cant remember what it is called will try to find out and let you all know.

*All the time! My legs kick randomly for no reason whatsoever. My dog gets so annoyed because it wakes him up, so he doesn't even like to sleep with me any more! and it seems to be worse at night, when I'm relaxed.

*YES, YES, YES!

*Yep in my legs and it drives me mad.

*Yes

*Yes

*Sometimes

*Yes,have to have a dental occlusion splint fitted on Tuesday,due to spasms in my jaw which are causing a lactic acid build-up and teeth clenching. On a soft foods only diet under dentist's orders. My legs and sometimes my arms,too,often twitch when I lie in bed at night.