www.fibroduckfoundation.com

The Fibroduck Foundation is a registered charity committed to funding bio medical research for Fibromyalgia

On our FaceBook Fans Page we ask our members daily questions.

These are designed to help show people what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia. The questions (and replies generated) became so well received that we have started a dedicated blog to archive them.

If you are newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, you may find this blog very helpful. By reading our archives, we hope you'll also feel less isolated and alone.

Please visit our website's and join the 'One million ducks campaign' Fibroduck.com and The Fibroduck Foundation

Fibroduck has recently launched its new free message boards
Membership is free and requires nothing more than a working email address.

Each new reply begins with an *





Sunday 4 April 2010

How good are you at pacing yourself? Have you sussed it or do you still over do things?


*I don't have Fibro my mum does, and she's crap at pacing herself, she pushes herself and then feels crap for days after :(

*I try to pace myself, but sometimes I have a lot to do, and have to get it done.

*My problem is when I have a good day I go mad trying to do all I cant do on bad days, then have another bad days afterwards lol

*I'm rubbish at it, when I feel OK, I push myself into flare-mode and never, ever learn.

It's very difficult when you work. Luckily I work from home most days which helps, but it is not easy to judge as every day is different.

*I try to pace myself but some days when get started doing some housework, want to finish it all, but the pain hits, then do pace myself!

*I always overdo things, every week!

*I push myself to extreme during the winter months (that's when most of the work is) pay the price in the spring, enjoy the summer, then start all over again.

*Wow so good to see I'm not the only one who cannot (will not) learn to slow down . Those above said it all, me too, me too, me too. SO how do we do it? Making a list doesn't work because one task leads into another and another and so on.
Tomorrow I really need to do some yard work, however, yesterday I cleaned house, hung curtains, washed all the winter linens. Today, I went to the grocery store, the sun will come out tomorrow and there is so much I want to do!

*Yup agree, not learnt yet, spend "good days" doing stuff I cant normally do.

*I am better at pacing myself than I used to be but still overdo it sometimes.

*I'm rubbish at it when you have 2 kids and 5 pets pacing is just out of the question I'm the worlds greatest boom and buster.x I'm still trying to get a Fibro diagnosis they finally diagnosed ME 3 years ago but have never got on top of the pain thing.
Got hooked on tramadol then taken off them n all they give me is crappy ibuprofen. If anyone has any pain relief suggestions or how I go about pushing the g.p for a diagnosis please? I really need some help.

*Overdo it every time, what's pacing anyway LOL

*I think we are all in the same boat with household chores! I am a single Mum of 4 children and however much I nag there is only so much they can do to help or that I feel they should do. I don't want my children to turn into my carers that's what I should be doing for them!

*After many years of trial and error I have finally sussed it.

*It took me almost a year to realize it is better to pace than to overdo, but until 2 weeks ago was still trying to return full-time at school. Now finally reduced my hours to 14 hours a week (I know: am very lucky to still be able to work :o) but even that is sometimes a struggle !
House is not as clean or tidy as it used to be, but hey, who cares, I've learned to live with that. Time spent with my lovely partner and daughter is far more important.

*Despite having been on an intensive course to teach me how to pace. I still can't help myself.

*I still over do it. I tend to forget that on good days there has to be a halfway point so I can walk back.

*I can't seem to tell how much is too much. I do overdo it on the days I am able to do things.

*Pacing? what's pacing? or the spoon theory that's fine if you don't have young kids.

*Absolutely useless at pacing! I want to still have it all. A clean house, and visit with friends, and have hobbies, and have a life! Therefore some days I end up being of no use to man nor beast: it is so frustrating! I may yet learn to pace myself, but don't hold your breath!

*I do exactly the same, I can be fine one day then obviously over does it then useless for 2, but I say well 1 day out being a bit normal is worth 2 days indoors in agony.

*Over do it all the time. Can't pace myself with with work and house. Early shifts wreck me . Afternoon shift not so bad . Housework kills me never know when to stop and suffer for it after . Pain n fatigue not good :(

*It's so hard to when your used to being able to do everything, it's specially hard because in your head you can still do everything. I find it really hard to stop as I feel so useless when I can't do what I feel I should be.

*I push myself because I don't have a choice on certain days, then have a bad patch, then when I'm better I go through a patch of being scared to do anything at all in case it happens again. So frustrating! I'm either manic, ill or lazy with nothing in between.

*I'm better than I was but still a long way to go before I have it sussed :(

*Still overdo it now and again especially if I have got behind in housework or the garden is a mess, then I pay for it for a few weeks and back to square one, and other times I feel trapped in my bedroom and panic about the growing mess downstairs made by my girls.
I do not have a partner to rely on,but I do have 3 brilliant girls who pick up the slack. Its just not the same as doing it yourself!

*Over do it every time, I don't really have a choice with degree and part time job, mainly degree, Oh and obviously being at uni have to cook, clean etc. I also hate it because I can see everyone else doing it and I can't :(

*I am cautious, but I over do plenty as well! Time won't stand still for all the undone tasks!

*I don't think I will ever get the pacing yourself thing right, its hard when you work 30 hours a week to be able to pace yourself.

*Had FM for 14 years now and still cant pace myself, I do just like most others, on my good days I think its OK I'll be fine and do stuff then the next day do more n more until I push myself so far I have a bad crash and I'm ill for more days than I had good in the first place.
suppose one day I might actually get it into my head but I hate sitting around moping and being in bed so may take a long time to sink it in lol.
Been to pain management course's and psychologists and still cant get it right. Well we keep on the good fight and don't let it win and just try to live with it and maybe one day wake up to it gone as quick as it came :)

I do overdo things, but I think it's that I'm afraid to say no. Afraid people will think I'm shirking.

*I only have 2/3 good days a week if I'm lucky. I don't clean, I pay my god-daughter 2 do it which helps us both. I do go out on my good days which means bed days the other days. Do I pace, don't go there!

*I've pretty much learnt how to pace myself. However, some days I don't have a choice and end up over doing it.

*I am getting a lot better at it. And I have finally told my family that there are a lot of things I can't do,and they don't have to understand my condition, but from now on when I say I can't do it or go I mean it.
I really hurt myself physically because they just wouldn't take no for an answer. Told friends the same thing too No means NO, I stand my ground now and I feel great about myself for finally standing up for myself.

*I still tend to overdo.

*I still overdue it sometimes, but after 7 years I have learned to trust my body pretty well. I rarely make set plans unless I have to just because I don't know if I will be able to do it when the time comes. I know if I push myself too hard too often, I will end up really paying for it in the end!

*Dreadful!

*Not very good. I always have to finish what I am doing.

*Not good at all, only cleaned my very small toilet the other day couldn't walk for two days, when will I ever learn :-(

*I overdue exercise and pay after.

*I still over do it sometimes but I think I'm getting better at pacing.

*Not very good, I tend to overdo it & then suffer for it afterwards.

*Terrible at it and as my concentration is that of a gnat I start tidying part of a room then maybe put something in another and then I start on that one and then find the whole house a worse mess than when I started and I'm exhausted and suffer the next day. My hubby now understands more as I think he just thought I was being lazy so do need to learn to pace myself as the consultant I saw told me !

*Fibro Duck I was just wondering how good you are at pacing yourself? I very much hope you are and looking after yourselves :)

*still over do it all the time, today went grocery shopping this afternoon, enough. Then sons decided we needed to go to cinema. Know it'll be bad tomorrow, but today was Orange Wednesday.

II still overdo, how can I not over do with everything I have to do! I have things to do and no help so. I HAVE to do them hence the overdo, geez, what's a girl to do?

*Who does we ave 2 get every thing done on the days we are good.if I didn't nothing would get done as live on own well that's what I say my excuse is!

*Overdo it and pay big time after. I had fibro 5yrs but diagnosed only 7mths ago.

*No I still overdo things, there is no one else to do things for me.

*Better at pacing than I was but far from perfect, I still way over do it on the odd rare good day. Like others I spend good days in catch up mode, In fact I spend my whole life in catch up mode!

* have a difficult time pacing myself because when I get a "good" day i tend to play catch up.

*Over Do. I ALWAYS do to much.

*I have a good day and try to get as much done in that day as I possibly can when will I ever learn? I'm good for nothing for the next 3 days, but I think we are all the same to be honest. It is hard to just sit there when you can see things that want doing, things we could all have done several years ago, so frustrating!

*I suck at it. I try to cram in as much as I can on good days. there is no telling when I will have another good day.

*Every time I think I've got it down, I blow it again. My biggest problem is limiting activities outside the home - if I do something 3 days in a row, I need a week to recover!

*I always over do it and pay for days

*Not good I always over do it and pay for days

*Always over do things, trying to change but its hard!